Scarlet Fever

A teenage girl's perspective on the Red Sox and everything else.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Confessions

I have a confession to make. And because I'm at my summer job with absolutely nothing to do, I figured I'd share.
I have not been a Red Sox fan my whole life. A baseball fan, even. Shocker, I know. It's in my blood. My family loves the Sox. But a few years ago, I couldn't have cared less. I remember when I was in Little League. I was bored out of my mind. I would wander around in the outfield picking flowers, and I hated at-bats. I remember always trying to lean in so I would get hit by a pitch and I wouldn't have to try and hit. Now I know that the only reason I couldn't bat was because I couldn't see. I didn't have contact lenses yet, and I refused to wear glasses. I had no idea how bad my vision was. I couldn't even really see the pitches. But I didn't know this at the time, and I hated every minute of it.
I remember a few years ago, when I was walking past the TV and a Sox game was on. My whole family was crowded around, and I remember deciding to give the game a try. I watched for about ten seconds. I was wondering, "How on Earth can watching a bunch of guys standing around on the grass be interesting?"
Another memory I have is sitting in my room when my sister ran by, screaming, "Manny got a three-run homer." I remember thinking about how much I didn't care.
I remember going to my first Sox game. I don't know how old I was, but it was young enough that my sister, who is three years younger than I, was too young to go. I was bored to tears. Our seats were terrible and it seemed to me that all I was doing was watching the grass grow.
Then came 2003. I remember everyone was watching the 2003 ALCS. So I decided to watch too, just so I could talk about it at school with everyone. I was drawn in by the magic of the sport. It wasn't exactly love at first sight, but the intensity really attracted me. The game was easy for me to understand and the players were amusing. I remember the first time I realized David Ortiz was black (well, Dominican, but...). When I said to my family, "Ortiz is black?" and they just looked at me with a look that said they were so embarrassed that this non-Red Sox fan was a member of their family. And a side note that I'm not at all racist. Just in case it sounded like it just then. I have no problem with Ortiz being black or anything, just before I started watching I pictured him as white for some reason.
Then came the heartbreak of Pedro being left in too long. I was disappointed but I didn't really know the full story. I hadn't been watching all season. I got over it.
The next year I got more into baseball. At the time, my family didn't have cable. So we only got Friday Night Baseball games on TV and the rest we listened to on radio. I loved watching the games on Friday nights, but I still wasn't a big enough fan to listen to games on radio every night.
Then came the magical 2004 postseason. Stunning. Unbelievable. That's when I really, truly became a Red Sox fan. And I hate admitting that. It makes me seem like I'm not a real fan. I only became a fan AFTER we won it all. I didn't have to wait 86 years. I didn't experience the heartbreak year after year, the Curse, the years of almost. I feel bad about that. Being a Sox fan is about heartbreak and I didn't really have to go through that.
But when 2005 came along, I listened to every game on radio. I completely immersed myself in the game. I learned all the players. I learned what the different stats showed. I learned about all the history of the Red Sox and the game of baseball. I found that I loved the culture of baseball. I loved the way the games toyed with your emotions. I loved that the Sox were there for you, every day, and to quote one of my favorite movies, Fever Pitch, "When they miss a game, they make it up do you. Does anyone else do that in life?"
My brother introduced me to MLB.com. That became my second home.
Manny became my first favorite player. My first Sox item ever was a Manny shirt.
My family loved telling me about the Sox. It made them feel powerful, maybe. Or maybe they just wanted to share the gift of baseball with me. They had wanted to share it all along, and I had been too stubborn. They finally had the chance to share with me one of their biggest passions.
I started playing softball. I could finally be a part of the sport that I adored. I am lucky enough to have a lot of natural athletic ability. When my coach saw my speed, my clean glovework and my consistent throws, he cemented me in my position at shortstop. With contact lenses, I learned that I was actually quite a good hitter, and I finished my first season with a batting average of .455 against some pretty tough pitchers.
When the Sox were swept out of the postseason in 2005 it was my first real heartbreak as a Sox fan. Because as Sox fans we expect nothing short of a World Series title. I remember how numb I felt. Numb, yet raw. The pain was fresh, in wounds unhealed. I sat in my car on the way to Vermont, rain slashing the windshield, fittingly somehow. I suppose that was when I became a true Red Sox fan. Because I was forced to believe, next year will be our year.
During the postseason I saw the team I had come to love be ripped apart. Kevin Millar, who kept the team in stitches. Gone. Bill Mueller, the consistant third baseman. Gone. And Johnny Damon. That one hurt the most. Because I had loved him. I remember staring at his picture on my wall. Lovingly framed. How could he do that to me? He told us he loved us. He had said he'd never leave. He took the money. He betrayed us. He saw that my open heart was vulnerable, and he went to the enemy.
But then Spring Training came. We got cable TV so we could see every game. And I was again filled with hope. This new team looked good on paper. I was curious to see how it would play in real life.
I started reading blogs. At first I only read. Then I left my first tentative comment. Soon I was sucked into it and I was leaving boatloads of comments every day.
And now I have a blog. And I know my future holds the next few chapters of my Red Sox life.

Ok that was the longest post ever. Seriously I have nothing to do today at work.

38 Comments:

  • At 10:20 AM, Blogger Peter N said…

    Great stuff. My baseball "career" was held back my nearsightedness, until they finally made contacs comfortable enough to wear. But to play centerfield, as I did, you have to get a jump on the ball at the first crack (or clank) of the bat. And without 20-20 vision...impossible. Now I have 20-15 vision, which I wish was true in 10th grade. And I still love softball, still in centerfield, but now getting a running jump on that fat plump softball, which is so much fun to hit. I hope you continue your tremendous posts everyday of this season, and yes, the post season too. October...wow.

     
  • At 10:23 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    hey peter!
    i plan on continuing to post every day that i can!
    as long as you comment on every post =)
    center field is a great position. you must be pretty fast if you play there. you have to cover a lot of ground
    -julie

     
  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger Peter N said…

    Great vision is the most important thing..remember, Ted Williams had something like 20-10 vision. God given! He could see the spin on a fastball on its way to his bat. Not that I'm old enough to have seen him in person, on the field. But that's why Jim Ed Rice's batting stats tailed off. He was uable to see the ball, in his "later" years. Near sightedness...before disposable lenses. Love the blog.

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger Peter N said…

    Unable, he meant to write.

     
  • At 11:08 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    wow peter i didn't know that! even with my contacts my vision's only about 20-40 =/
    but in my league the pitches are only about 50-55 miles an hour compared to 90-95. that probably makes a big difference =)
    -julie

     
  • At 11:25 AM, Blogger Peter N said…

    I left this comment for you at my blog, but here you go....... Regarding the site thing...I wish I could help more Julie, this is something that Cyn can better give you an answer. I was lucky to get it right. Where you paste it into is your template. And then republish. But I don't want you to be unsure, because I'm unsure about describing it. But you take the code supplied by the sitemeter and paste it into your template. First you give them your blog's addy. For me, I pasted at the bottom. That's why if you go to my blog, you'll see the counter thingy at the bottom. But boy, when you do it, they tell you everything!!!! Where people, your readers (doesn't that sound nice) came from, and everything. I think Cyn is better to explain, or your Dad. At last resort, I can explain it.....and it's the same thing with adding links.you add them to the template, then click "save template changes", and then republish. You are mor ecomputer literate than me, but see if Cyn can help. At last resort, I can explain it to you, or your Dad. See what you can do. But your writing is the most important thing. And you got that down!

     
  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger Peter N said…

    See all the typos??. It's OK in my comments, because I'm sorta in a hurry to get back to you. I take my time wit my posts, and still sometimes I have to go back and correct stuff. As Billy Joel said, "We're only human, we're supposed to make mistakes." Good luck...you are so good without the site thing for now, make sure we/you get it right.

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger Peter N said…

    Ya did it! Now you can go to their site, which should be bookmarked, and see where people come from. I'm in CT. On the left, I hit "recent posts", and that tells me much. Explore. Never is something for free this much fun! Told you...

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    k peter i did it!
    i put both your sites in my links =)
    and, as you probably could tell, in my comments i do the same thing, i type really fast and dont proofread. i save that for my posts
    -julie

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    k thanks ill see but since i did it a few minutes ago there will probably not be alot of stats to read =)
    -julie

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger Peter N said…

    First click on that rainbow symbol, and then you get all the great options.

     
  • At 11:40 AM, Blogger Peter N said…

    And maybe you can add me as a link. I have to be offline till after lunch, but you made so much progress. If you want to add my blog, please call it Peter's Red Sox Forever. If I'm worthy! Thanks. You made me smile.

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger Peter N said…

    I'm already there! WOW. You are quicker than me. Thanks

     
  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    which one do you want me to call "peter's red sox forever"?
    or should i just leave it
    -julie

     
  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger Peter N said…

    You got it exactly right!!!!

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Blogger Peter N said…

    If you want to list Dugout Press, just call it that. And it's dugoutpress.com/redsox/ hey, thanks!
    My link is purfect.

     
  • At 12:07 PM, Blogger Peter N said…

    You did it..thank. I have to have lunch..have a great day. Be happy..you deserve it!

     
  • At 2:57 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    Hey JUlie,
    Fine TAke all my fun away with your
    stupid softball games.I'll suffer till you get home.I guess. HAHA just Kidding.Anways got to go finish my post lol.
    -kaylee

     
  • At 3:28 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    Hey JUlie,
    I think my new post is up let me know if it is I hink I did it right
    -jkaylee

     
  • At 3:31 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    Julie,
    O and thanks for promoting my blog.
    -kaylee

     
  • At 3:35 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    ok kaylee i'll go check out your blog :)
    notice that you're on my links now
    -julie

     
  • At 3:37 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    JUlie,
    Yeah I did hOw do you do that?I am new to this.can u tell??
    -kaylee

     
  • At 3:51 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    Julie,
    Okay we can share Grady
    -kaylee

     
  • At 4:35 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    Did you see what your sister wrote on my blog?
    -kaylee

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    Julie,
    How can we talk?I need to talk to you.
    -kaylee

     
  • At 5:09 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    hey julie,
    need to talk to you soon!
    -kaylee

     
  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    Did you get that?
    -kaylee

     
  • At 5:41 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    Okay i think I deleted it
    -kaylee

     
  • At 5:51 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    Except i deleted Peters comment oops!
    -kaylee

     
  • At 6:42 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    Julie,
    I officially hate summer.i have nuthing to do.Plus we have no a/c in our house.It is 116 degrees out yikes!
    -kaylee

     
  • At 7:01 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    Julie,
    Yeah but I get to meet Grady HAHAHAH!
    -kaylee

     
  • At 7:05 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    Julie,
    I want to write a post on TEK AND DOUGIE but dont know what to say!
    HElp me!answer me on my blog
    -kaylee

     
  • At 7:19 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    Julie,
    SOrry I keep posting here but i am bored today can you telll?LOL
    -kaylee

     
  • At 7:23 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    Julie,
    did I TELL YOU NICE POST.?
    -KAYLEE

     
  • At 7:30 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    Julie,
    More comments on my blog for you.
    -kaylee

     
  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    Julie,
    I think that will be tommorrow's post Lol.How do you edit the link list LOl.
    P.S.We can both have Grady Lol.
    I will get you an autograph and pix!
    -kaylee

     
  • At 11:15 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    alex no offense but your comments can be kinda hard to read. try and just spell everything the right way, if you don't mind
    thanks though for all your visits, i appreciate it
    -julie

     
  • At 10:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

Post a Comment

<< Home