Scarlet Fever

A teenage girl's perspective on the Red Sox and everything else.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Rest In Peace Cory Lidle

I'm in absolute disbelief at the news that Cory Lidle was killed yesterday. I'm in shock. The man who I saw standing on the mound just six days ago is now gone, incinerated save for a passport revealing his identity which tumbled to the ground. That he was a Yankee at the time of his death has absolutely no effect on me. He was a human being first, a baseball player second, and a Yankees player third. He shared with me a passion for baseball, a passion for adrenaline and a passion for life. I pray for his wife, his young son, and the rest of his family, as well as all those touched by his death. The entire Yankees orginization has felt a tremendous blow, and I pray for them. Sometimes things happen that you can't explain. Sometimes things happen that make you forget instantly the silly rivalries that once seemed so important. Cory Lidle will now leave unfinished his baseball career, one that will always be remembered not for his accomplishments in sport but for its tragic ending. I pray to the Lord to help us find a meaning for his death. Rest in peace Cory. Never forget.

11 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home