Scarlet Fever

A teenage girl's perspective on the Red Sox and everything else.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

While I Was Gone

Last night I watched the game from about the fifth or sixth inning on. This intense softball schedule has games Tuesday, Wednesday and a double-header Friday under the lights for me. Though I love softball, so many games packed into this week is coming at a bad time, because I am kind of in a hitting slump, being 0 for my last 6 with four strikeouts. This is really unusual for me and I'm really frusturated because I'm not seeing the ball well at all right now, swinging at bad pitches and watching the good ones go by. Today I'm going to go early to my game to take some batting practice, but what I really would like to do is go to the batting cages and I can't because my mom has to work.
Volleyball camp was really fun. It was scorchingly hot, and I went through three tee-shirts a day, but I had a great time and I improved a lot. Every night I called my parents for updates on the Sox, but they only gave me the score and a summary of our run-scoring plays, so it was good to come back here and read all my comments. The Sox were 2-1 while I was away, with a come-from-behind victory and a shutout, so I really can't complain.
A note that I happened to walk by a TV and see that Kansas City beat the Detroit Tigers a few days ago. That pretty much made my day. The worst team in the AL beat the best team in baseball. I love a good underdog story. Still, let's sweep them.
Now I will finally stop rambling and talk about last night. Lester was phenominal. His pitching line speaks for itself. 8 innings pitched, 1 hit, 0 earned runs, 4 strikeouts on only 100 pitches. Whatever small adjustment he made, it worked tremendously. His problems in the past were high pitch counts and having to get out of jams. Yesterday he went two innings past his old record on less pitches than it has previously taken him to get through five. Only a single batter reached second base. Lester is here to stay. He has had a huge impact on this injury-ridden starting pitchin staff, and his consistency and solidity (is that a word?) have been an enormous sigh of relief. His season numbers are astounding: 5-0 with a 2.38 ERA. The kid has hist the ground running, and it has been incredible. Juxtapose Lester's stats with those of his friend Papelbon, and you become aware of the talent we have coming up from the minors. I think I even feel more comforable with him on the mound than I do with Beckett, who as of right now has not been the lights-out co-ace we traded for, though I have faith he will soon figure out the AL and dominate again.
Our lone run scored on a RBI single by Gonzalez, knocking in Varitek who was on base via a huge wall-ball double. It appears that Tek has finally been breaking out of his slump. Crisp has been breaking out of his slump as well, though coming up with an 0 for 3 last night. However, it scares me a little how low Youkilis' batting average has dropped, as well as the slight decline in hitting from Lowell and Loretta. Youk's down to .289, far from the mid-.310's we had been seeing throughout the first half. Though he is still working full counts left and right, his plate production needs to pick up again. Lowell and Loretta, though both only a sliver under .300, were in the .320's and .310's for a very long time. A bit more hitting from the two of them is key.
Willie Harris was designated for assignment to make room for Wily Mo Pena. I just wanted to point out that the front office again shared my opinion on what to do when WMP came back. Though I suggested sending Harris down to AAA, I can understand their decision to designate him for assignment. I feel badly for Harris, but I am much more excited to have Pena back, especially because his buddy Manny's knee has been a problem. Imagine that we now have both Pena and Kapler on the bench for the outfield, Cora for the infield, and Belli for catching. That's an impressive bench.
Jermaine Van Buren was recalled from Triple A, and Javier Lopez was sent down. I was kind of impartial to this roster move because I like both guys, so either one in the 'pen works for me.
Today's game is at 1:05, so I will be watching alone or with my sister. Luckily, I get home from work at about 12:45, so I will have just enough time to get ready for Beckett. It's time for him to make up for his last start, his first subpar one at Fenway. The Royals are an easy team to beat up on. Beckett has flirted with a no-hitter several times. The Royals could be the unlucky victims.

13 Comments:

  • At 11:28 AM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    julie,
    Hey are you going to be awake for fridays game to talk? hope so.
    -kaylee

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Blogger Peter N said…

    Jules, I will be home for the game, an afternoon game. I love 'em! So after each half inning, I will be on my blog with my comments....can we do this? Comment if you want. You too Kaylee...the comment service seems to be working. Wish you could see the game in Hi-Def, but I'll do my best to describe what it's like to see EVERY blade of grass, every "nose pick" in the stands, and every one of the 7 runs we will score today. Get back.

     
  • At 12:45 PM, Blogger Peter N said…

    Jules, I will be home for the game, an afternoon game. I love 'em! So after each half inning, I will be on my blog with my comments....can we do this? Comment if you want. You too Kaylee...the comment service seems to be working. Wish you could see the game in Hi-Def, but I'll do my best to describe what it's like to see EVERY blade of grass, every "nose pick" in the stands, and every one of the 7 runs we will score today. Get back.

     
  • At 12:45 PM, Blogger Peter N said…

    Jules, I will be home for the game, an afternoon game. I love 'em! So after each half inning, I will be on my blog with my comments....can we do this? Comment if you want. You too Kaylee...the comment service seems to be working. Wish you could see the game in Hi-Def, but I'll do my best to describe what it's like to see EVERY blade of grass, every "nose pick" in the stands, and every one of the 7 runs we will score today. Get back.

     
  • At 12:47 PM, Blogger Peter N said…

    OOPS...I doubled it.. But I do not delete myself. I'm too lovable....pre-game time. I am so psyched! No home runs allowed Josh!!!!!

     
  • At 5:20 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    julie,
    sorry forget my question I read the answer in your last post.I will be home for part of the game tomorrow.Nice post even though only home was about the red sox haha that is okay
    -kaylee

     
  • At 5:31 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    Man had a long day at church camp.
    had to break up 3 fights between 2 boys now i see how us girls are so much more civilized then boys huh?
    I did watch the game at church.my leader is a big re sox fan dont tell anybody
    -kaylee

     
  • At 5:36 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    julie
    By the way that was along post for not much to say hahahahaha.
    -kaylee

     
  • At 6:05 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    julie,
    meant half not home
    -kaylee

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    julie,
    12:45 you get off work that is nice.
    -kaylee

     
  • At 7:07 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    I get off work or my Volunteer work i guess is cuz i do not get paid like you "snd i do more than look up red sox websites" at 1:30 that is not bad but I gohave to be there 6 am that sucks part sucks.
    i am bored again can you tell?
    btw,nice 1-0 win by the sox again.
    -kalee

     
  • At 8:54 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    hey kaylee
    that is a long day for you, especially with all those fights to break up. at least you can watch our sox. the only game that was on while i was at work, we listened to on the radio. i may have driven my coworkers crazy with all my trivia :)
    i work from 7:30 till 12:30 (it takes like 15 minutes to get home). i thought that was early!! i guess not, compared to six. that sucks.
    -julie

     
  • At 9:28 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said…

    hey julie,
    Yeah that is along day.to break up all the fights all i had to do was threaten them that I would take them to the office if they misssed behaved anymore that made them stop.But yeah it is hard I have a coworker that is like me and has to watch the red sox so he made us watch them it was cool.6 hrs. is alot for the 4yr olds especiallly since they can focus and get bored on one thing after 5 minutes.lol.
    -kaylee

     

Post a Comment

<< Home