Scarlet Fever

A teenage girl's perspective on the Red Sox and everything else.

Monday, August 28, 2006

Stirring the Pot

Peter just wrote a post on Papi and his quest for 51 homers. With a whole month and just 4 homers to go, it seems almost certain that he will do it, barring injury. And though I'm rooting for Papi every at-bat he gets, something occurred to me. It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if Papi gets 51 homers or MVP. It doesn't matter if Manny leads the league in batting average. It doesn't matter if Coco Crisp leads the league in stolen bases, if Curt Schilling leads the league in wins, if Jonathan Papelbon leads the league in saves and ERA, if Gonzo or Mike Lowell or our entire infield wins a Gold Glove... it doesn't matter. What matters is that we win. Because in a few seasons we will have forgotten most of the other stuff. We won't have forgotten if we made a postseason run. These other things are nice because they help us win, but we aren't winning right now despite them. And the postseason isn't looking so reachable right now. So looking to the offseason, I give you this question:
Dustin Pedroia will almost certainly be a starter next year at either second base or shortstop. This means that either Mark Loretta or Alex Gonzalez will go. Which one do you think it should be?
I say trade Loretta. I love him, and I think he's awesome. But he's older than Gonzo, and will get us more money or a better pitcher. His hitting has been great, and his defense has been solid. But I would rather keep Gonzalez. He's still in his twenties, so he still has yet to reach his peak. His hitting this year has been far above what was expected, and his defense is absolutely phenominal. I think he could continue his upward trend with his hitting, and his glove is irreplaceable. Plus, he's cheap.
My mom says trade Gonzo. She says Loretta's hitting is much better than Gonzo's and his defense has been great.
It seems the FO might agree with me. They tried to trade Loretta a few weeks ago, but it fell through. I would love to see what everyone else thinks about this.

13 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home